Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A trip down memory lane or not

Hey Gays,

Well it seems that no one in my family has a memory left...LOL

Jeff got me all wrapped up in Ancestry.com
He did a free trial and forgot about it so he got charged a month for it so decided to do his family tree. He was having so much fun I decided to try and do mine. His seemed to go much easier and he even found records of what ships his family were on coming to America from Liverpool...

Mine is a whole different story and grew into an obsession over the weekend...aaargh, pulling out my hair more like it. You see Jeff's family knows a lot about their grandparents and great grandparents, like maiden names, etc. My family knows nothing, to tell you the truth my father thought my grandfathers name was Joe up until the day he died only to find out his real name was Michael Joseph, he knows his grandfathers name was Jeremiah and grandmothers last name was Cooney but doesn't know her first name.

My mother knows even less, her middle name is the first name of her grandmother but she doesn't know what her maiden name was...weird...don't you think?? My other great grandparents came from Lithuania so I know I'll find nothing after them though my aunt did know my GG's maiden name....I guess I never thought about how little my family cares about where they came from, Jeff's family seems to care more or at least kept a paper trail with pictures and letters, etc.

I did find one thing that was interesting, I had a great uncle named Joe "Happy" Shea and he died young at like 23. What I found was a high school yearbook photo and caption about him. He looked just like my brother David, it was really shocking to see the resemblance but now of course I need to find out why he died so young but will my father know? probably not...aargh!!

So that was how I spent my weekend....goodness

XO, BT

No comments: