Monday, December 1, 2008

Rosie Live

hey gays,

So I was somewhat excited at the prospect of the "Rosie Live" show.

I'm not really sure why? maybe it was because i loved the idea of bringing back the variety show format, like the Ed Sullivan show or Laugh In. These were all pleasing shows and usually showcased both established and up and coming performers.

Well anyway I went out for drinks at our local happy hour and wanted to make sure i got back on time but as things go we were running late because one friend was late so my Jeff actually ran home early so he could set the DVR...it was full so we weren't able to record it before we left...yes we DVR a lot of stuff and then watch it in one night or two...we're crazy..

After watching the show I had an empty feeling as if to say...WTF. Then I felt bad that Jeff ran all the way home to record this show... I was really disappointed. I like Rosie and I thought she would do a great job with this but in the end she , to me, seemed really out of sorts or there was not enough rehearsal. That's what I believe, she was a little rusty and didn't rehearse enough. I know it was a live show and has to have some sort of spontaneity but even the staging was weird and the odd little unfunny cameos by Clay Aiken and Kathy Griffin missed the spot. I would have to shift the blame to the writers here..bad choices(Seth Rudsetsky)mmmm,do not like him, what about Bruce valanch...he's a master at one liners and slapstick, maybe no one was available.....

I'd rather see kathy Griffin do her own comedy, thank you and see Harry Connick sing a full song.....

I read the NY times review and agreed with their take on it. I do feel Rosie should have grabbed the feel and material of the past for at least the first episode and maybe even have on some former variety show performers, like Goldie Hawn, Cher, The mandrel sisters, Dolly Parton, Joan Rivers, Bette Midler, Captain and Tenille, Hee haw. Not that all those shows, people were great but at least they'd have given it that old feeling and then mix in the new people...

Liza was good and they did well together, though I think Rosie missed a line, maybe a little more slapstick banter between them would have been good. Liza is a great comedian...felt she was a little under utilized.

Well now that I got that off my chest....I do really like Rosie and think she is fun. Maybe she should try a sitcom about all of her feuds or one about living on Long Island....

XO, BT

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the red background and the green links, festive. By all accounts that I've read, your analysis is pretty much the consensus.

I agree with you, variety shows can be loads of fun and they can definitely have a high voltage of electricity--but they have to be perfectly orchestrated--but be made to appear casual and spontaneous.

That's why I think Carol Burnett is the master of them. Love/Hate her, Bitch made the whole thing look effortless, like she had just rolled out of bed and did it. I agree about rehearsing--you have to rehearse 5.38 million times to cultivate that familiarity that breeds good organic chemistry between the performers, otherwise it feels off. (That's my guess, at least, as an arm chair blogger, lol)

MargOH! Channing said...

Hey Jeff,

Is GPL up and Running?

Yes, I love Carol Burnett, she is too much, I should have mentioned her. There was nothing like that cast and they would even break into laughter during their scenes which was great and gave it that edge of freshness.

Yes, I think if you are going to revive a medium you should always draw from the past to make it new again like the song "Everything old is new again"

Maybe Rosie should have sung that..LOL

XO, M

Anonymous said...

Hi-o! Yes, GPL is up (as blog for now), but I'm in the process of transferring the blogspot address to www.gaypowerliving.com You would think something so simple could be done but its turned into Defcon 5 missile crisis like challenge...wish me luck! ugg.

It looks like you and Jeff have a week of festivities! ENJOY! xoxoJ