Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Next Big Step

Hey Gays,

Well, I feel yesterday was a big day for me and my performing.

I mentioned in the past that I've been working on a new project called
"For the Love of Judy". It is my story and struggles with coming to terms
with who I am as a person and choices I made in my life to where I am now. In a
broad over view I will transform myself on stage into Judy garland, the person who I feel originally gave me my voice as a performer, she was my catalyst, the one
who inspired me to take a chance on performance.

Yesterday, I asked someone to direct this show. This is a big step for me. In the past I have written, performed, produced and directed myself with the help of course with my hubby Jeff. He does a lot more for my performances then he'll take credit for believe me and I am so thankful for what he has given me. I just felt I needed a new voice in my work, someone who will be honest and critical.

The weird thing is the woman I asked is someone I don't know that well. I saw her host a show once and she was really funny, she does this Liza impersonation that is really out there, though masterful. We spoke to her briefly after the show and I just loved her voice and the way she spoke. Then again we saw her at a show and approached her and chatted. We were talking about work and her new show and for some reason I stood there and stared at her and thought.

This is the woman I want to direct this show. It was a gut instinct and I knew i wanted a woman to direct me, I felt this show needed a woman to guide it. This fabulous woman's stage name is Howlin Vic and she is a performance artist, writer and teacher. She is interesting and dark. I love to know people that are a little dark, it fascinates me. We met yesterday and discussed the project and she accepted the challenge and was really excited about it.

Victoria acknowledged that she had directed in college and now focuses more on teaching performance art and burlesque. I think she'll be perfect for this show plus with her having such a connection with Liza and Judy add even more relevance to the project.

I'm really excited about having someone I can learn from and challenge me as a performer. It'll also be a process of letting go of what my idea of MargOH! is and expand to possibilities.

This is a big step for me.....

XO, BT

2 comments:

Glenn said...

Congratulations on taking this next and exciting step in your career! Sounds like you are honoring yourself in a way which will allow for growth on so many different levels. It’s all about taking that first step into the unknown and trusting.

MargOH! Channing said...

Thanks doll, yes I knew it was something I had to do but I seem to hold my stuff so close, maybe for fear of rejection, but as you know one has to day what the fuck sometimes.

Vic is a master at teaching movement so i think she is the perfect choice because I'll have to be doing dialogue and putting on make up at the same time, etc...