Thursday, August 28, 2008

Big Fat Vacation Part III

Hey Gays,

So Key West really was a blast, though there are some issues with the place, like Duvall Street is filled with meat heads and their drunken broads who fell of their cruise ships...We did do some tourist things like go watch the sunset on the pier but it was overcast so it wasn't that spectacular and we went to the tallest spot in key west, a hotel, that has a viewing deck...aah, it was OK. Probably the worst part of the trip was our trip to Margaritaville. Now we figured we'd have a drink there just because...well what a mistake. The frozen Margarita I had was terrible, the worst I think I ever had and at Manhattan prices to boot....I would think a place called Margaritaville would have good margarita's, think again..yuk

The overall impression of Duvall street is that it is similar to Commercial street in Provincetown but has more of a trashy vibe to it and the Drag Queens peddling on the street for their shows look like they'll cut ya!....

The quieter end is much nicer and less crowded and also has the butterfly conservatory which is small but really gorgeous. There was an older gay chap working in the shop of the butterfly garden and he must have fancied us because he gave us half off admission into the conservatory, geez we were hot in Key west..LOL. Honestly it was a nice gesture.

All in All Key west was fabulous and we are going back in May for a week, here are more pics from Key west, the first one though is from Matlacha, I forgot to post, it's so cute. Another cat from Hemingway house named Charlie chaplin, Jeff in front of Tropical forest and the bird that said "Hello, I love you", me in butterfly conservatory and me acting sexy by the pool...well













We left Key West after a quick breakfast for a very long drive back to my sisters. It actually didn't seem to take as long coming back plus Jeff started reading to me. he bought the book my Chris Ciccone about madonna. I actually like someone reading to me, it really passed the time and I enjoyed it. I have to say though there is one stretch of the drive in Floida that is scarey because you go like 70 miles with no exits or rest area's so like an hour, nothing but everglades and on each side. Now you know I'm usually pretty good about being prepared but we passed a rest area when i had a quarter tank of gas and Jeff said , should we stop and I said no because we could stop at an exit....Dummy me, there were no exits so gays guess what...

The gas light came on and I had not seen a sign for an exit or rest area for 50 miles and the gauge went down to e quickly. I started to panic and thinking about if we ran out of gas here. It was so nowhere...Jeff was not aware of it until the gas light started making dinging noises when we saw a sign that said Rest Area 10 miles. I didn't think we were going to make it...but thankfully we did, goodness, it was scarey. After an 7 hour drive we made it back to the villages, had a swim, played some tennis and had a ball..

The next morning we headed to Disney of course which is only an hour or so away. it was a grey day and very cloudy so we were a little worried about rain. We arrived at the hotel, we decided to stay in "The Wilderness Lodge".

We did arrive early but just to park and possibly drop our bags cause we had a date with Mickey..; ) We were excited to find out they had a room for ready for us. We were excited until we saw the room...it was fine but it was actually in the basement which they call the first floor. The hotel itself is very nice and massive but the room was sort of dark and unimpressive. The room had a little slab porch outside the room with no view and it was smack in the corner. I just thought it was an odd room and for the money we paid I felt a bit ripped off but we shrugged that off and made our way to the boat for our disney adventure.

Guess what? It started to pour buckets so we took shelter for 5 or 10 minutes but it didn't let up so we said fuck it and ran for the boat. We had to buy those plastic rain slickers they sell that smell like a science project and it rained half the day.

We made the best of it and went on rides. I especially love Splash Mountain, it's fun and Mickey's 3d adventure is really cute. The one thing I always wonder about disney is that there are never any characters walking around. The only one we saw was Captain Hook, blah! They really need to have characters running around, it would make it much nicer.

Disney is also very tiring with all the brats and crazy parents running around. The one big thing I noticed is that a lot of overweight people fo to disney. I felt thin in the sea of chunky gals and guys, some even in wheel chairs and Jazzies..I wonder why? It's a small world afterall.. Well anyway here are some disney pics. We did have a lovely time and glad we went but not sure if we'll ever return to disney....
Here are some pics. I especially like the one with Jeff and Chip and dale







After our day at Disney we headed back to "The Villages" and spent a couple relaxing days by the pool and playing tennis, aaaaah Lovely!!!

This was one of the best vacation's we've had, right up there with Hawaii and we thought Florida was going to be a big bore but we were wrong. I think we made some great choices on destinations, well, Jeff gets most of the credit, he chose the majority of the activities. His ability to set an itinerary is right up there with Julie McKoy from the Love Boat!

I have to say one of the best things about the trip was that I got to spend a bit of time with my Aunt and Mom in a relaxed setting. It was nice to see my mother relaxing and enjoying herself, which is not usually the case. That made the trip even more fun. Here are some more pics from "The Villages"...including gasing up the golf cart, what a trip!!








I ended the photo's with jeff because he did an excellent job planning this vacation and we had a blast...

XO BT

5 comments:

Jeff Guard said...

Isn't Florida interesting!? Seriously, it's like visiting a tropical country without needing a passport, it has that total banana republic chic-ness to it. I found it exotic with all of those birds wandering around, and they're so beuatiful, and the ocean, the palms. Glad you had fun!

Fatt-ee Gay said...

Well I am honored to have Glennand Jeff Fischer-Guard posting thoughts...LOL

Yes, Florida was really interesting and there is plenty to explore.

Key west was fun. You'd both love it. The place has a little bit of everything to do.

There is also a cool cemetary but we got there at closing time so that'll be our first destination when we go back...spooky!!

XO, BT

Unknown said...

Your vacation posts were good, but I didn't like them. Reminded me too much of how much I wanted a summer escape this year, to some place warm with sand and surf. Mucho jealous in Upstate New York...

Fatt-ee Gay said...

Hi doll,

One must always try and make room for a tropical retreat...it makes life so sweet..

XO, BT

Glenn said...

I now feel complete having read all three parts... almost feel like I was on vacation with you both. Love the "sexy photo" with the bag of Wavy chips. Your hussssband is very handy with the camera.

Just heard that you boys will be joining us next weekend for dinner here up in the hood! Can't wait!!!

Hugs,
G