Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Big fat Vacation Part 1

Hey Gays,

One of this years vacations for my Hubby and I was a trek across Florida. This wasn't our original planned vacation but due to huge flight costs and bad exchange rates for Europe we decided to sat stateside.

How we decided on Florida was that my sister and her husband bought a house in a 55+ retirement community in a place called "The Villages" which is a bit of a strange choice for them because they're only in their 40's but any who. We flew to Orlando after a 1.5 hour delay waiting on the taxi lane to take off which started getting really annoying...but we finally made it and then got a rental car and made our way to "The Villages", en- route we had planned to make a stop at an Orlando Whole food so I could pick up some Gluten Free food but wouldn't you know it when we arrived there had been a fire alarm and the whole place had been evacuated. We got a little heated because we were tired and running late plus Jeff had a run in with the rental car guy who was trying to pressure him into an upgrade and insurance....you know how they are.

Usually on my vacations time is not an issue but in this instance my Mother, my Aunt and a friend of the family Chris had been staying at my sisters place as well and were waiting for us to grab a bite and my Aunt is a little frantic about her schedule, yikes....We did finally arrive at the "The Villages" which is actually a little scary, it's like "Pleasant ville" for the over 55 set. It is this planned fabricated community with houses that all look the same, a downtown area created by Disney and oldsters zipping around in Golf Carts. The thing is that it is a gated community but everyone still is very suspicious...

The place does have some pluses like tennis courts, Golf Courses and fabulous pools so we did enjoy that and oh yes a sexy waiter named Justin that worked in a restaurant called margarita's in the sexy side of the villages called "Spanish Springs". We had a great time with the family and my Aunt's friend Chris is so Funny, she's like a suburban version of Bette Midler...and she has a gay nephew so she's always dishing about him..



We had decided to make my sisters place our base but wanted to go to key west and planned a drive. In order to break up the long trip we decided to check out the gulf coast and settled on a lovely resort on Captiva Island called "The South Seas Island Resort". The Pic below is me driving and stuffing my face with a new flavor of Lays I found on Captiva Island called Dill ranch....very tasty and Gluten Free, thanks Lays



We also stopped at a couple of little villages on the coast as well called Matlacha and Bokeelia. Matlacha is a little town filled with art studio's and shops painted in Miami like colors, bright pinks and blues...we met an interesting woman who is an artist and shop owner named Bonnie, she was really friendly and very talkative. Jeff bought a pendant that had been made from a Bombay Sapphire Gin bottle, it's really pretty...it was called the "Happy Hour Collection".. We had lunch at a little shack called Capt-n-cove which was right on the water in bokeelia, it was really good , we had a tasty chowder, shrimp cocktail and Jeff had a fried fish of some sort..yummy.

After that we headed to Captiva, yikes....it was a bit longer of a drive than we thought and for the first time our trusty "Google Maps" let us down and we got a little lost which of course led to a but of a meltdown on my part....I can get a bit testy when directions go bad....after about 20 minutes we got back on track and made it to the resort, it was lovely and the beach was great, perfect after a long drive.


We really just relaxed here and had drinks in the room and enjoyed the tropical weather....I need to live in warm weather all year round...Four seasons are overrated I believe.. The pic below is me drinking on the lanai of our room lounging in a robe, is it me or am I morphing into Truman Capote?LOL





Oh gotta run gays, I'll post the second part of the vacation lowdown asap...

XO, BT

4 comments:

Glenn said...

When is part II coming... I'm on the edge of my chair!

Fatt-ee Gay said...

Hi darlin,

Oh, well I didn't know you were such a fan...LOL

and why didn't we know you were getting married soon, or did you tell us and I forgot...???

are you going to have a last fling?,if so MargOH! wants a piece..

I'm geting write on it!!

XO , BT

Fatt-ee Gay said...

oh wait that blog was from 2007, are you guys still gonna do it...get hitched...

Glenn said...

Tell MargOH she's a notty, notty girl. I can always do something with her on the "down-low" and have plenty of time. Had to push the marriage off with my man for a few more years. Living the Kurt and Goldie lifestyle isn't so bad for now. Off to read part II... YEAH!